Saturday, November 24, 2012

Chai Tea Frosted Cupcakes

Yay my first post! I thought I would start off with my most recent creation that I have told my entire extended family and even they are sick about hearing it by now. It was my exuasted topic at the thanksgiving table... Anyway this will be your first time hearing it so it hopefully won't be boring for you!
                                       Here is my new favorite cupcake with my new favorite frosting!


It's like someone wrapped up my favorite kind of cozy sunday afternoon into a cupcake... sighh...

I also didnt want to leave it with just plain frosting (which was a tiinnny bit melty but still delicious) ,so i sprinkled it with cinnamon so the frosting wouldn't be lonely.


                                                                  This cupcake IS my life.
Seriously.


So my idea with this recipe was to make a cupcake (my favorite dessert EVER, because they're just I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E) incorperating the great taste of my favorite tea; chai. I also had to keep in mind that I couldn't make much of a mess and that I didn't want to do dishes. (For me that is the worst part of baking and so I truly love this recipe). So I was looking up cupcakes with a small yield and I come across the most darling recipe by "Baker Girl" for exactly 2 vanilla cupcakes. I used that recipe for the cake and I used a vanilla frosting recipe for 2 and added in the spices in chai tea. Turns out this is like THE EASIEST CUPCAKE EVER '-'!!! Did I mention I'm in love with it?

                                                They are just so darling because there are only 2!
I hope you're a fan of chai tea like me and you can use this recipe as often as I do. It's a kind of dangerous recipe for me because every time I make chai tea I feel as if I just HAVE to bake these cupcakes to go along with it. Hopefully you don't drink as much chai tea as I do.

I'm also going to put in a variation of the frosting recipe in case (for what ever supernatural reason) you didn't like the chai frosting, for a chocolate frosting which will also go well with the vanilla cupcakes.

                                                                              Hope you like it!

Recipe
Cupcakes
1 egg white
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup flour
1/4 heaping teaspoon (don't scrape the top) baking teaspoon
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Oven preheated at 350 degrees F (because I don't know how to make the degree sign ;p)

You only need: ONE medium sized bowl, a whisk, measuring spoons, 1/4 cup, a bowl scraper, (NO ELECTRIC MIXER!!!!)

In the bowl, add egg white and sugar, whisk together. Add in vanilla and melted butter and continue to whisk. Add in flour, baking powder, and salt and continue to whisk until everything is combined. Whisk in milk. Pour batter evenly between 2 cupcake liners.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean out of the cupcake. Let cool on a rack and frost with one of the recipes for frosting below.

Frosting
1 tablespoon melted butter
3 1/2 tablespoons confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon half and half or milk
Dash of salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cardamon
a little less than 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

You only need: ONE small bowl, a whisk, and measuring spoons. (once again, NO ELECTRIC MIXER!= joy '-')

Add all ingredients to melted butter in a small bowl and whisk, adding confectioners sugar slowly and whisking as you go. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator for 10 minutes to set. Take out and whisk again. Pipe or spread onto cupcake. Eat with a cozy mug of chai tea!

If you don't like the chai frosting, you can use all the same ingredients in the first frosting with no spices and these changes:
Add
1 tablespoon + 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
Only add
3 tablespoons confectioners sugar

Enjoy your cozy little cupcakes!

8 comments:

  1. Acko taco im posting a comment on my own post... im a loner ;)
    Anyway, i made this for my exstrordanharry freind (hinthint) today because shes feeling overwhelemed and i made the cupcakes with peanut butter frosting and they were (if i do say so myself) AMAZAYN! well i would have made chai but there was no ed sheeran, i mean ginger. so basically it was the recipe for chai with no spices and with a tablespoon of skippy peanutbutter. and it was sheeranominal, i mean fenominal. (i think thats how you spell it). so im summary try it and babez your exstrodanharry and i love you and i hope your cupcake made you feel better! the power of peanut butter! love you! ;* try these again they were amazing.
    so now im done with my own comment... thanks for wasting your time reading this (sort of wasting i dont even know) anyway thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! they look awesome! I wonder if i could use a bag of chamomile instead (that's my favorite) and infuse the frosting with a little bit of honey. do you think it will work?

    Your #1 supporter
    Julia :-p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! They are so yummy! My favorites now :) But the trick is having the right spices. If you look on a bag of chamomile tea and see the spices used and you have them im sure it will be delicious! Adding those spices to a vanilla cupcake; yumm! Honey sounds amazing in terms of flavor contrast too :) ill see what the sppices are and get back to you on possible ideas. thanks!

      Delete
  3. So I ended up putting about 1 1/2 teaspoon of the bag of tea into a white frosting and added a little honey. As you may have suspected; it tasted like chamomile tea. Not my personal favorite but if you like chamomile then you will like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool. i made the batter into mini confetti cupcakes! all you have to do is add sprinkles and poor into mini cupcake liners. made the chocolate frosting. letting cupcakes cool now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. idea! for the aphrodite cupcake, for the red velvet, instead of regular vinegar i have raspberry vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm curious what that would taste like and if it would bake as well as regular vinegar. maybe we could make a small batch instead of a regular one with the raspberry vinegar like with 6 or 2 or something. Sounds really good though! one time i made a choco cake recipe that called for vanilla yogurt and i used raspberry yogurt. they were soooo good

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have a chai donut recipe! i have to make them for you! these donut pans are amazing. donuts are so easy to make! the pans i have, you just scrape it a little with your finger and the crumbs come off! they're so easy to clean! i LOVE them.

    ReplyDelete